Wednesday, June 22, 2016

ASSATEAGUE ISLAND STATE PARK,  BERLIN MD.         JUNE 13-15


Elliott took off Monday morning for a 3 day golf excursion with her friends from her Thursday golf league.  They headed off to Penn National Golf Club in PA, so I seized the opportunity to head out for some surf fishing and relaxing at Assateague Island State Park in Berlin, Maryland.

I packed up the ALINER and took off Monday driving 2-1/2 hours, arriving at the Park right at check in time at 3:00 PM.  Site C7 was perfect being only one campsite away from the dunes, and steps away from the "dune path" to the beach, and able to enjoy hearing the surf "crash on the beach" all the time.  It took a TOTAL of 15 minutes to set up the camper and the brand new CLAM screen shelter, and I was in my "zero gravity chair" sipping a tropical drink by 4:00!

Relaxing in less than 15 minutes.  Just add water... and of course a rum drink!

The weather was MAGNIFICENT, 78 degrees, 10 mph breeze, and not a fly or mosquito to be found.   I was surprised that there were plenty of empty campsites and the beach was uncrowded.  One of the MANY advantages to retirement is being able to stay home on weekends, and travel on weekdays when the young folks are working!

Gorgeous Day with few people
Campground was empty with the exception of another A frame down the road.
After dinner I was so comfortable that I just hung out in the screen shelter and "chilled out" with some music, foo-foo drinks, and a great cigar and until bedtime.  When I finally did go  inside, I caught the evening news on TV and then slept like a log with the windows open, 68 degree temps, and a gentle breeze all night.

Peaceful night on the beach
Tuesday proved to be an even prettier day than Monday!  After a hearty breakfast of eggs and smoked hickory bacon, I mustered enough energy to make my way back to the beach and plopped in my chair with a good book.  I was actually too relaxed to go fishing and settled in until lunch time when I decided to grab a bite, take a short nap outside, and then hike the beach for a couple of hours.  Assateague is known for their wild ponies and they were out in force on the beach and in the campsites!  (I find it ironic that they tell you to "CLEAN UP" after your pet.  Apparently the horses don't pay attention to the signs!)

Camp Host picks up the horse dropping every morning!
After dinner I went back to the beach and enjoyed a tropical libation, cigar and music until sunset.

Well, I ended up doing very little fishing... but who cares!  It was a great two days at the beach, and I needed to head back home so I could get wound up again :-) !  (All this relaxation can't be good for your health!)

I missed Elliott, but she also had a great time golfing with her friends, and we plan on coming back again soon... if I can get her off the golf course.  In the meantime it's back to election coverage, yard work, and planning the next adventure to wind down again.

Until next time... Adios from Assateague Island!

AAAH.... What Election?
I AM BLESSED and LIFE IS GOOD!

























No comments:

Post a Comment